This tasty Malaysian Satay dinner was cooked by my husband ringing me for instructions whilst I was on the bus on my way home. The intiative is amazing. I finished cooking it when I finally arrived home.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 chopped onion
1tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 kg diced meat
3 tbsp peanut butter
1 cup of coconut cream
2 cups of chopped mixed vegetables
1 tsp coriander
Brown the onion in the olive oil and fish sauce in a pan. Put the diced meat in the pan with the onions until cooked. Mix the peanut butter until all meat is evenly covered. Add the vegetables and coriander until half cook. Add the coconut milk then simmer.
My older daughter requested Prawn Carbonara for dinner tonight. Luckily, we have all the ingredients that we need. Bon appetit!
400 g spaghetti
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fish sauce
I cup chopped mixed vegetables
1 chopped onion
2 cups peeled prawns
100 ml thickened cream
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 cup milk
1, Cook pasta according to the packet instruction. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
2, Brown the onion in olive oil and fish sauce. Add the prawns and mix until cooked. Add the cup of vegetables, rosemary and thyme. Mix all ingredients until the vegetables are just cooked. Add thickened cream then mix until wam then add milk. Mix until the sauce is about to boil. Don’t let the sauce boil. Keep mixing to stop the sauce from boiling.
3. Serve pasta on a plate and add the carbonara sauce on top. Add Parmesan cheese if preferred.
Tacos for dinner. Tacos is a traditional Mexican dish with corn tortilla (can be hard or soft) wrapped around an eclectic mix of fillings. The fillings can include any type of meat from beef to seafood and any kind of vegetables. Most importantly, the garnishes such as salsa, guacamole, sour cream and grated cheese. It is best eaten with hands. It is fun to prepare and fun to it.
A family who makes pizza together stays together…
Homemade Pizza Goodness
Mushrooms on Toasted Black Rye Bread
Moment: Breakfast time
Verdict: The sliced mushrooms were cooked in butter and I just added a couple of cherry tomatoes. Easy, simple and nutritious. Love it.
Mushroom Health Benefits: (sourced from Vegetarian-Nutrition.Info website)
- Mushrooms contain about 80 to 90 percent water, and are very low in calories (only 100 cal/oz). They have very little sodium and fat, and 8 to 10 percent of the dry weight is fiber. Hence, they are an ideal food for persons following a weight management program or a diet for hypertensives.
- Mushrooms are an excellent source of potassium, a mineral that helps lower elevated blood pressure and reduces the risk of stroke. One medium portabella mushroom has even more potassium than a banana or a glass of orange juice. One serving of mushrooms also provides about 20 to 40 percent of the daily value of copper, a mineral that has cardioprotective properties.
- Mushrooms are a rich source of riboflavin, niacin, and selenium. Selenium is an antioxidant that works with vitamin E to protect cells from the damaging effects of free radicals. Male health professionals who consumed twice the recommended daily intake of selenium cut their risk of prostate cancer by 65 percent. In the Baltimore study on Aging, men with the lowest blood selenium levels were 4 to 5 times more likely to have prostate cancer compared to those with the highest selenium levels.
Who doesn’t like a classic comfort food that your Mum makes? I think every Mum who cooks has cooked this for their kids. This homemade spaghetti bolognese has an Asian twist flavour which my family loves. I cooked the onions and garlic in fish sauce and cooked the minced beef with oyster sauce which is generally the base for most Asian dishes so the sauce has a bit of sweet flavour to it. I included my own recipe below:
Recipe for the Bolognese Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp basil
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500g beef mince
- 700g jar Italian tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and fish sauce. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until tender. Increase heat to medium-high. Add mince. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until almost brown. Add oyster sauce, cook until minced beef is cooked.
2. Add pasta sauce, stock, sugar and basil. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to low. Partially cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with pasta. Serve with parmesan cheese.
Now, we have an easy recipe for making pizza base, we will be making pizza more often. So I bid my farewell to Pizza Home Deliveries and ready-made pizza bases. Here’s one homemade pizza with ‘all things we could find in our fridge‘ toppings and the recipe (below) for a pizza base.
Homemade Supreme Pizza
Pizza Base (sourced from Best Recipes Website)
Preparation time: 15 minutes or less
1¾ cups self-raising flour
½ cup Parmesan cheese
¼ cup vegetable oil
⅔ cup boiling water
1. Place flour and cheese in a bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add oil and
2. Stir with a fork to combine. Knead just to combine and cover in plastic wrap and set aside
somewhere warm while pizza toppings are prepared.
3. Roll out the pizza dough to suit the size of tray. Top with choice of toppings.